2016 Awards Ceremony
The Office of the Dean for Research hosted the 9th Annual UF/IFAS Florida Agricultural Experiment Station Awards Ceremony at the Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art on May 19, 2016.
This invitation-only event recognized 77 individuals for their research achievements in 2015. Those recognized included the best M.S. thesis and PhD dissertation awardees and their advisors, the Richard L. Jones New Faculty Awardee, six UFRF Professors, 25 authors of eight High Impact Publications, 41 new patent holders, the Research Professor Emeritus awardee, and the most recent AAAS fellow. In addition, Dean Burns recognized those in attendance who were National Academy of Sciences members, American Association for the Advancement of Science fellows, Distinguished Professors, Eminent Scholars, and Graduate Research Professors.
- 2016 Program
- 2016 Slideshow
- 2016 Full List of Awardees Recognized
- UF Research Foundation Professors
These three-year professorships were created by the UF Research Foundation and managed by the UF Office of Research. We were pleased to honor six IFAS faculty members who were selected to receive the UFRF Professorships for 2016-2019:
- Senthold Asseng, Agricultural & Biological Engineering
- Liwei Gu, Food Science & Human Nutrition
- Wilfred Vermerris, Microbiology & Cell Science
- Nian Wang, Citrus Research & Education Center
- P. Chris Wilson, Soil & Water Science – Indian River Research & Education Center
- A. Mark Settles, Horticultural Sciences
- UF/IFAS Graduate Research Awards of Excellence
Each year, the Dean for Research calls for the best M.S. thesis and PhD dissertation from each CALS major. After a comprehensive review, the Research Award Committees selected the following for special recognition:
- Best Thesis: Kathryn Merriman, Animal Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Best Dissertation: Eduardo Ribeiro, Animal Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Richard L. Jones Outstanding New Faculty Research Award
This award was established by colleagues of Richard L. Jones to honor and support an outstanding assistant professor for building a research program and demonstrating research productivity as shown in the three-year evaluation. This year, Jiri Hulcr from the School of Forest Resources and Conservation was honored. This following video highlights some of his research:The following video debuted at this year's awards ceremony. It shows the scope of IFAS Research and the impact its faculty members are making on the world:
This next video was shown to conclude the ceremony and demonstrate one of the interdisciplinary projects currently underway in IFAS Research:
To request the high-resolution versions of the videos above or photos below, please email Mary Anne Eades at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2015 Awards Ceremony
- List of Awardees Recognized
- 2015 Photos
Please click on the photo below to see 20 different pictures of selected award recipients and attendees from the 2015 Awards Ceremony.